Odyssey Of The Mind impacts everyone that gets involved. The experience, life lessons, and spirit gained as a participant in Odyssey Of The Mind carries well beyond the student involvement. Students become mentors, coaches, parents, future volunteers, and leaders beyond the Odyssey of The Mind family.
East Central Pennsylvania Regional Odyssey of the Mind (OotM) program sponsors scholarship opportunities for up to two (2) students per year for up to $1,000. These opportunities are intended to celebrate participants of the program who have demonstrated exemplary problem-solving skills, creativity, good sportsmanship, perseverance, and teamwork. The scholarship program is intended to support these individuals as they continue their education and growth.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have been a team member for at least 2 of the last 4 years in the Odyssey of the Mind program (one of which must be in the East Central Pennsylvania Region). Participation can be on a team or otherwise engaged in supporting OotM.
- Must be continuing their education on a full time basis at a university, college, community college, post-secondary technical or trade school, or a specialized post-secondary educational institution.
- Must be a high school senior or a student who will be continuing their education after high school within the next academic year.
- Must provide all submission requirements as listed in this scholarship application form.
Eligible applicants must submit one (1) original and one (1) copy of the following no later than Friday, March 17, 2023. (postmarked).
- Completed application form (as attached). This includes documentation regarding participation as a member for at least 2 of the last 4 years in the Odyssey of the Mind program of which one must be in the East Central Pennsylvania Region. Participation must be in 2 of the following academic school years 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22, and 2022/23.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from an Odyssey of the Mind coach, high-school administrator, OotM mentor or teacher. The letter shall describe problem solving skills, creativity, good sportsmanship, perseverance, and/or teamwork that has been demonstrated directly by the applicant in their participation in the Odyssey of the Mind program. The letter of recommendation may not be from a person who is related to or a guardian of the applicant. Letters are limited to one page, double space, and greater than 10 font.
- An essay that addresses the following questions. There is no limit to the length of essay but the applicant should consider 350 words or less in greater than 10 font as an appropriate response.
1. Describe an instance that your Odyssey of the Mind experience developed two of the following: your problem-solving skills, creativity, good sportsmanship, perseverance and/or teamwork.
2. What was the most stressful situation that you encountered in the Odyssey of the Mind program, and how would you handle the situation now, in retrospect?
3. Describe how your Odyssey of the Mind experience has most affected your day-to-day life.
4. Describe how your Odyssey of the Mind experience has effected your life’s aspirations.
5. What can be done to expand Odyssey of the Mind participation in your school?
All submissions will be reviewed by the selection committee, which consists of members of the East Central Pennsylvania Regional Board of Directors. Selection committee members may not be related to, teachers of, or Odyssey of the Mind coaches of any applicants. Winner(s) will be contacted and an announcement will be made on our facebook page. All submissions will become property of the East Central Pennsylvania Odyssey of the Mind program.
All questions and submissions should be sent to:
10 Valley View Dr
Lebanon, PA 17042
All scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to the chosen educational institution upon receipt of the 1st semester or 1st academic period schedule and bill. This may be submitted subsequent to the scholarship application but no later than September 15, 2023.
In the event that a scholarship recipient is not enrolled at an educational institution for the fall 2023 academic semester, or cannot use the scholarship, the allocated funds will be moved to the succeeding year scholarship program.